How to edit your Teams recordings
When you record your Teams meeting, it’s saved in Stream, Microsoft’s video sharing app. If you’d like to take out a section of the recording, there are two ways you can do this.
Trim the start or end of the video in Stream
- Log in to office.com and open Stream.
- Go to ‘My content’ then select ‘Videos’ to find your video.
Alternatively, you can select ‘Open in Microsoft Stream’ from your recording in Teams or Outlook.
- In the … menu, you should see the ‘Trim’ option.
- Drag the start and end point so it no longer includes the parts you’d like to remove and select ‘Apply.’
This deletes the extra footage permanently.
Take out mid-sections in the Windows Photos app
Photos is a locally installed video editor on Windows devices. You may have an alternative piece of software, if you have a Mac, for example. Any video editing software is fine to use.
Follow the steps 1 and 2 above to open your video in Stream.
- In the … menu, select ‘Download video.’
- Once the video is downloaded, open your file explorer.
- Right-click on the video in your Downloads folder and select ‘Open with’ then ‘Photos.’
- Once it opens, select ‘Edit and create’ to see the available features.
- To open the video editor, you can select ‘Create a video with text’ or ‘Add 3D effects.’
- Once you’re in the video editor, you can add title slides and also ‘split’ the clip into two sections. Trim the split clips to remove the mid-section of the recording.
- When you’re finished, select ‘Finish video’ and export as an MP4 file.
- Go back into Stream, find your recording and select ‘Replace’ from the … menu. This will replace the original video with your new edited version.
You can also upload this to Panopto if preferred and delete the recording in Stream altogether. Just remember to share the new link with your students or colleagues.